Jay B. Kalagayan, creator and writer of MeSseD comics (@messedcomics), will attend Queen City Black Comix Day on Aug. 11! Read More
Midwest BSFA will host its third Queen City Black Comix Day on Saturday, Aug 11, at the Pleasant Ridge branch of the Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County! Read More
We made it around the sun once again and today, the Midwest Black Speculative Fiction Alliance celebrates its second anniversary! This has been a whirlwind of a year, full of programs and conversations and debates and friendship building and I look forward to more in 2017!
Here’s a short recap of what we got up to this year:
- In April, we chatted with University of Cincinnati Professor Charles Jones about Afrofuturism 2.0: The Rise of Astro-Blackness, the book he co-edited with Reynaldo Anderson, co-founder of the Black Speculative Arts Movement. I also made my second appearance on the BLKBOARD podcast.
- In May, we had a table at the Cincinnati Library Comic Con at the main branch. We did trivia on the show’s black recurring characters and guest stars.
- In June, we hosted the 2nd Queen City Black Comix Day, showcasing local and regional comics artists and creators. We were also featured on Ghettoblaster Magazine‘s website.
- In September, we had a table at MECCACon in Detroit and hosted a steampunk character building workshop for adults.
- In October, we hosted a sci-fi short film night in honor of Black Speculative Fiction Month.
- In November, we hosted a panel on cyberfunk at Pandoracon, a three-day sci-fi convention in Cincinnati. I also served as the Queen of Diamonds for the event.
Thanks to the rest of the Midwest BSFA crew for making these last two years so much! I look forward to doing bigger and better programming with you in the years to come!
…ADRIENNE MELAN! Adrienne will represent the House of Diamonds in the Pandoracon games during the convention next month! Here’s what she had to say: “I want to attend this year’s Pandoracon because I like to go to events where I can meet new people, make new memories with my friends and to especially see my friend, Aiesha.”
There’s still time to buy a ticket to Pandoracon! Get them soon! Nov. 11-13. Crowne Plaza, 5901 Pfeiffer Road, Blue Ash, http://thepandorasociety.com/pandoracon/pc2016-tickets/
In August, members of Midwest BSFA participated in a music video for rEVOLUTION Cincy’s newest song and the team is having a viewing party on Oct. 1. rEVOLUTION Cincy is a movement to encourage citizens to think about the issues that are important to them, to communicate those issues, and then to take personal action. The motto: Be the Change You Wish to See. Read More
The Midwest Ethnic Convention for Comics and Arts – MECCA, aka MECCACon, a large independent comic book and artist convention, took place on Sept. 17 at the Detroit Public Library and Midwest BSFA represented to the fullest! Read More
Check out this week’s story on the Model D website about MECCACon. It features our co-founder, Aiesha! Her steampunk character building workshop is at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday so if you in the Detroit area on that day, swing by!