We made it around the sun once again and today, the Midwest Black Speculative Fiction Alliance celebrates its second anniversary! This has been a whirlwind of a year, full of programs and conversations and debates and friendship building and I look forward to more in 2017!
Here’s a short recap of what we got up to this year:
- In April, we chatted with University of Cincinnati Professor Charles Jones about Afrofuturism 2.0: The Rise of Astro-Blackness, the book he co-edited with Reynaldo Anderson, co-founder of the Black Speculative Arts Movement. I also made my second appearance on the BLKBOARD podcast.
- In May, we had a table at the Cincinnati Library Comic Con at the main branch. We did trivia on the show’s black recurring characters and guest stars.
- In June, we hosted the 2nd Queen City Black Comix Day, showcasing local and regional comics artists and creators. We were also featured on Ghettoblaster Magazine‘s website.
- In September, we had a table at MECCACon in Detroit and hosted a steampunk character building workshop for adults.
- In October, we hosted a sci-fi short film night in honor of Black Speculative Fiction Month.
- In November, we hosted a panel on cyberfunk at Pandoracon, a three-day sci-fi convention in Cincinnati. I also served as the Queen of Diamonds for the event.
Thanks to the rest of the Midwest BSFA crew for making these last two years so much! I look forward to doing bigger and better programming with you in the years to come!
Hey hey hey! After a couple of cons and a much-needed holiday break, we’re back like cooked crack! (But, um, far less addictive/destructive.) November was hectic, y’all. HECTIC. Check out what we and our friends were up to last month! Read More
…ADRIENNE MELAN! Adrienne will represent the House of Diamonds in the Pandoracon games during the convention next month! Here’s what she had to say: “I want to attend this year’s Pandoracon because I like to go to events where I can meet new people, make new memories with my friends and to especially see my friend, Aiesha.”
There’s still time to buy a ticket to Pandoracon! Get them soon! Nov. 11-13. Crowne Plaza, 5901 Pfeiffer Road, Blue Ash, http://thepandorasociety.com/pandoracon/pc2016-tickets/
Read about what House Diamond will have to offer at Pandoracon in November. And don’t forget to enter for your chance to win a free weekend badge to the event! Read More
Our co-founder, Aiesha, has been named the Queen of Diamonds for Pandoracon in November! To celebrate our queen’s coronation, Midwest BSFA is giving away one weekend badge to the event! Read More
Midwest BSFA is participating in a panel on cyberfunk at Pandoracon this fall! What is cyberfunk? Like the genre from which it gains inspiration, cyberpunk, cyberfunk is a genre of speculative fiction centered on the transformative effects of advanced science, information technology, computers and networks (“cyber”) coupled with a breakdown or radical change in the social order. Unlike cyberpunk, however, cyberfunk is expressed through an African/Black lens (“funk”). The “Cyberfunk: Cyberpunk from an African-American Perspective” panel will feature Milton Davis, the editor of the cyberfunk anthology The City, via Skype. Pandoracon, Nov. 11-13, Blue Ash, OH, http://thepandorasociety.com/pandoracon/